Monday, May 3, 2010

New York City!!

Shaunna & Keith & I took a trip to NYC near the end of April to see a few Broadway shows - mainly Promises, Promises. Kristin Chenoweth, Sean Hayes, and Tony Goldwyn made up the cast, which was enough for us to book our flights. They were all great. (The story wasn't the greatest, since it was mainly about adultery, but still the music (by Burt Bacharach) was good - many familiar songs from the late 60s & early 70s.) We got to meet all three of them afterwards, after waiting for a bit at stage door. They were all very nice. Kristin especially - soooo sweet and appreciative of us coming to the show. And if you happened to catch Glee on Tuesday, April 27, you saw that she guest starred and sang - what else? - a Burt Bacharach song: "A House is Not a Home / One Less Bell to Answer." Very moving!! Loved it! She is absolutely fabulous.
Shaunna & Keith had tickets to The Addams Family (the Musical) and Lend me a Tenor, but I wasn't interested in those, so I found my own shows at the last minute. I got to see Sondheim on Sondheim, a review featuring Sondheim's music from his various musicals. Interviews of him were projected onto a screen, and then the small cast of eight would sing his songs as he mentioned them. Highlights for me were hearing Barbara Cook sing "Send in the Clowns" (A Little Night Music), Norm Lewis singing "Being Alive" (Company), and Vanessa Williams singing "Children Will Listen" (Into the Woods). Barbara is 82 years old - it's incredible how she still sings amazingly. What a special treat to see her. Vanessa is very sexy! Yowza! Fantastic talent. Here's more info on the show.

I also saw In the Heights, but it wasn't really my thing. The theatre was packed with screaming teenagers, all there for Corbin Bleu. I guess he's famous for High School Musical. Who knew - not me!

Besides shows, we visited the new High Line park in the Chelsea neighborhood, which was cool. We also did the Circle Line Tour around the island of Manhattan. Our second time, but we just love all the views, the information (history, geography, economy) of New York. Fascinating. Then we walked through Central Park, which was lovely. Enjoy the photos from my NYC trip!
This is my favorite bridge in Central Park: Bow Bridge.
If you're interested in seeing some similar performances, check these videos out! So fun!

1 comment:

Fame said...

completely jealous of everything you posted here!